Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Living Life

When my circumstances are difficult, I am such a good student of the Word...I pray without ceasing and my eyes are constantly on God. I am hanging on with all my might.

It is a great time of growth. Personal steps toward God, refining of my character, exposing my sinfulness, realizing my complete lack of control.

Can you tell, my circumstances are pretty unstressful right now? I know that I would not be reflecting in such a peaceful way if I were presently in the fire. And I am not going to fret that I will be one day back in the fire...most likely I will....but I am really more interested in living in the present and being very grateful for the quiet times :o)

God has drawn me close to Him....and for me, that is everything.

I was asked what books have helped me in my role as a mother. The more I thought of it I realized it was not intentionally working on being a good mother that has helped me grow as a mother...it is learning to obey what the Lord is telling me to do in the Bible.

Common, familiar Scriptures like, "Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,...bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails." (1Cor. 13:5-8)

Taking scriptures like these to heart have made a big difference in my behavior.

I think my greatest weakness was my temper and selfishness when the big kids were small. I had a pretty short fuse...my temper is much quieted now...but I am still very selfish.

I think aging and Katie and God's instruction will help cure me of that one...In good time :o)

So I guess I am saying the more I try to live in a way that pleases God...the better a mother I am.


Holy Confidence

"Go on in all simplicity: do not be so anxious to win a quiet mind, and it will be all the quieter. Do not examine so closely into the progress of your soul. Do not crave so much to be perfect, but let your spiritual life be formed by your duties, and by the actions which are called forth by circumstances. Do not take overmuch thought for tomorrow. God, who has led you safely so far will lead you on to the end. Be altogether at rest in the loving holy confidence which you ought to have in His heavenly Providence."
St. Francis de Sales

That gem is from The Elisabeth Elliot Newsletter. See link at sidebar.




Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.