Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Southern Eating

"My mother could fry a dishrag, and my father would eat it. And like it. In our family, grease remains one of the four essential Southern food groups, the others being salt, barbecue, and bourbon."

And so begins a cute little article at the back of the April Southern Living.

I like to read about people and food. It's funny to me. And quite interesting.
Did you read Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy? What a book! Now that man likes words and food :o)

I guess I am a bit fascinated with the South too. At least the South I've learned about in books and magazines. While I have spent a lovely week in Kiawah, assorted trips to Florida (somehow...not so Southern) and a few years in Missouri (which feels more Southern than it acts) I am not sure how REAL my Southern Experience has been.

My Southern world is populated with Scarlett and Attius, Steel Magnolias, Bees and Lowenstein, Lowenstein...

And, well...lots of fried food. Just imagine, visions of sugar plums dancing in your head...now change those to fried chicken...fried dill pickles and fried apple pie.
Yummy or horrifying...I'm not sure.

But for Amy in the Southern Living article;

"Amy looked pale for a few beats as she mentally calculated how many billion fat grams were contained in the heaping mass of brown food before her. As I was contemplating whether this was the time of share with Amy that Mrs. Green's sweet tea had enough sugar in it to give a moose diabetes..."
-article written by Morgan Murphy

hehehe



While I can not fry anything...I can make a delish Chinese Coleslaw that would be a nice side dish.

Chinese Coleslaw

1 pkg coleslaw
1 bunch of green onions
1 c. sunflower seeds
1 c. toasted almond slivers
1 pkg beef ramen noodles-crumbled

Mix together little packet from the noodles,
1/2 c. sugar, 1/3 c. vinegar, 1/2 c. oil.
Pour over dry ingredients and mix.

Easy and yummy!


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.