Monday, August 23, 2004

SOME OTHER CHILD

DEAR Father, I am very glad
I was the little girl you had!
Suppose some other child had come
To live inside my pleasant home,
To run and climb upon your knee--
Some other child who was not me--
Would you have called her by my name
And thought about her just the same?




-Photo borrowed from Fairfax Digital


FATHER

OUT in the morning Father goes,
Whether it pours with rain or snows,
Whether the wild wind beats and blows:--
By the fire sit Mother and I
Doing our lessons quietly.


Back in the twilight Father comes,
When I've finished with books and sums.
Not all the noise of all the drums
Is a jollier noise, I know,
Than Father when he says, "Hallo!"


both from Enchanted Tulips and Other Verses for Children (1914): a machine-readable transcription
Keary, Maud

Poems found here.

Encourage...dads,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.