Monday, August 22, 2005

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Sometimes change is so gradual that you hardly even notice it.
Sometimes it turns your world upside down.

Today I watch Emma drive off to Madison to begin her Biology class.
Last year I had to drive her. Last year it was chemistry.
Small changes. Good changes.

Today I watch Matthew load his car and head back to Omaha.
He is a fraction more prepared this year.
I think he is ready to be a student.
I hope.
More small changes, but very good changes.


I bet those of you with young children think sending a child off to college is a huge change.
And it is...
But we had a year where everything changed so dramatically that since then I have faced changes...with much less anxiety.

Here is a little run down of what changed starting Dec. 24th 1999.
Katie Grace was born. I was 42. Patrick was even older :o)
Patrick Jr. was applying to colleges which we had to visit.
Our bakery was given one month to vacate the building. Meaning it would have to be closed.
Husband looks for new employment.
Husband finds new employment in town three hours away. (Complete career change)
We put the house on the market.
Patrick Jr. graduates from High School. Class of 2000.
The next day, husband moves to Madison to start new job.
I stay home with three children, try to sell house, prepare oldest to go to college.
Drive Patrick to Omaha for college.
"Bye, honey. We love you. Have fun. Do your best."
Homeschool Matthew, Emma and Katie.
Visit with hubby on weekends.
Finally sell the house, six months after we put it on the market.
Say goodbye to many long time friends in Marinette and move to Madison in Jan. 2001.

What a year!

See how sending our boy to college was lost in all of the changes way back when.



It's true, I will miss having Matthew home with us.
He is like a big puppy. He wrestles with Katie, and keeps me company on the couch,
and he is always looking for food.

I have high hopes for him, tho.
He needs to grow and learn and figure out what his life is going to be about.

So, I will cheer him on the best I can from home :o)

Note to self:
Go buy a phone card.
Give to Matthew.

Note to Matthew:

Goodbye. We love you. Have fun. Do your best.

Be always coming home, Son.
Be always coming home.

Love,
Mom



I am comforted by life's stability, by earth's unchangeableness. What has seemed new and frightening assumes its place in the unfolding of knowledge. It is good to know our universe. What is new is only new to us.




Growth itself contains the germ of happiness.

_Pearl S. Buck


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.