Monday, December 05, 2005

The Ghosts of Winter Past


Once upon a time I lived in hilly, pine tree covered Wausau, Wisconsin.
Every day at noon I would head over to the ice rink at the fair grounds to skate.
Typically four or five skaters would be there; a mother and a child, a young man skating figures, an elderly gentleman and me.

The young man showed me how to skate a figure eight. I learned to use the edges on my skates.
Harley, the elderly man, taught me to skate the waltz. The waltz is skated much faster than you would imagine and very close to your partner.

Stroke, swing, inside edge, loop.
Stroke, turn, outside edge, glide.

I was nervous and scared and worked very hard to keep up with Harley's speed and steps.

I loved it so much.

It was possibly the coolest thing I have ever done.





Quite a few years ago I asked my family this question at the dinner table;
If you could do in anything in the world and not fail, what would it be?

All of us chose something athletic. (football, soccer, golf and skating)

Ask your families. I wonder if you will have more philanthropic folks around your table. he he he

Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.