Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Lately a little package of Suzy Q's keeps showing up on our kitchen counter.

It had been a long time since I had a Suzy Q so I had a little taste of one.

And I decided right then and there....that I could do better.

Yes, siree bob....I thought I could do better than Hostess.

Mine would be fresh and made with my favorite components:

Ree's Chocolate Sheet Cake and my Red Cake Frosting.


Ree's Chocolate Sheet Cake with a slight change in cooking time.

Pioneer Woman Chocolate Sheet Cake
Combine in a mixing bowl:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
In a saucepan, melt:
2 sticks butter
Add 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa. Stir together.
Add 1 cup boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.
In measuring cup, pour 1/2 cup buttermilk.
Add:
2 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour 1/2 of the batter into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 15 minutes.



Frosting for Red Cake

5 Tablespoons flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cook 5 T. flour and 1 cup milk over a low flame-stirring constantly- cool.
Cream 1 cup butter add 1 cup sugar and 1 t. vanilla.
Add cold flour mixture.
Beat this on high for 15 minutes.
Stop and scrap every five minutes.

It will look like whipped cream.





That's right. I used less cake to make the pieces thinner.
So I could do this;

DSC_0063


DSC_0065


Ready for assembly


DSC_0073-2


DSC_0076


DSC_0079



DSC_0083-2

Ta Daaaaaa!

DSC_0093

So very yummy....


DSC_0108-2

um.um.um.


DSC_0110-2


and messy!


Encourage one another and enjoy!

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.